Home  |  About

Concord Point Light

Havre de Grace, MD, cir. 1838
Concord Point Light The Concord Point Lighthouse was commissioned in 1827 to warn ships of currents and shoals at where the northern tip of the Bay meets the Susquehanna River. It stands 39 feet high. Like many of the Bay's old tower lights, it was designed and built by John Donahoo out of Port Deposit granite. Several upgrades to the lighting apparatus were made over the years, cumulating in a fifth order Fresnel lens. The station was electrified in 1920 and served until 1975 when it was decommissioned by the Coast Guard. Its 148 years of continuous use are the longest of any lighthouse in Maryland. The tower sits in the middle of what is now quite a nice little park in the old section of scenic Havre de Grace, Maryland. Both it and the keepers dwelling across the street have been rennovated and are maintained by The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse. The (unrelated) Havre de Grace Maritime Museum is half a block up the street.


Location: Havre de Grace, MD, 39 32' 26.52" N, 76 5' 5.28" W
Access: See Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse
Date Built: Commissioned 1827
Type of Structure: Stone tower with detached keepers dwelling
Height: 38 feet above mean high water
Characteristics: Fixed white light privately shown (not an active ATON)
Foghorn: No
Builder: John Donahoo
Appropriation: $4,000
Range: 8 miles
Status: Standing, but Decommissioned
Copyright © 1999 - 2011 Matthew B. Jenkins, All rights reserved.  |  Privacy