Home  |  About

Drum Point Light

(moved to) The Calvert Marine Museum, Solomons, MD, cir. 1883
Drum Point Light This screwpile lighthouse was commissioned in 1883 and had been located at the Northern mouth of the Patuxent River. Not very far from shore to begin with, 80 years of silting made it an easy target to vandals once it was automated in 1962. It was moved a couple miles west to its current location at the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons, MD in 1975 and restored. There is currently a lighted buoy where it once stood and you can still see the stubs of the old structure's solid iron pilings.


Location: Solomons, MD, 38.331N 76.463W
Access: See Calvert Marine Museum
Date Built: Commissioned 1828
Type of Structure: 1 story hexagonal screw-pile cottage
Height: 46 feet above mean high water
Characteristics: Inactive
Foghorn: Yes - Bell
Appropriation: $25,000
Range: 12 miles
Status: Standing, but moved to a museum setting
Copyright © 1999 - 2011 Matthew B. Jenkins, All rights reserved.  |  Privacy