Home  |  About

Fishing Battery Light

South of Havre de Grace, MD, cir. 1853
Fishing Battery Light Fishing Battery is a small, low-lying, Bay island south of Havre de Grace, MD that had been used for pulling in fish nets from the Susquehanna Flats. In the late 1800s it was also the location of a state run fish hatchery. A small, one story, brick dwelling with a wooden rooftop lantern was built by John Donahoo in 1853 and is the last lighthouse constructed by Donahoo on the Bay. In 1887 major upgrades were made. A new foundation was laid and the building was enlarged. The keepers quarters were moved to the second floor with the ground floor used as a boat / utility shed area. In 1921 the light was moved out of the rooftop lantern to a steel tower built right next to the dwelling. This, in turn, was automated in 1939 and is still an operating aid to navigation. The island is now owned by the Department of the Interior and is considered part of the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge. It is a popular place for small boats to go for picnics and the old lighthouse structure has suffered from a great deal of both vandalism and neglect over the years. In particular much of the interior woodwork, including stairs and shutters has been torn down and used for beach fires. It is currently in a great state of disrepair and open to the elements.


Location: Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, 39.495N 76.083W
Date Built: Commissioned 1853
Type of Structure: 1 story, 36 x 16 foot, brick dwelling with lantern on roof
Height: 32 feet above mean high water (original, 38 feet (current steel tower)
Characteristics: Fixed white light (original light in 1853); Flashing white, with two red sectors (current steel tower)
Foghorn: No
Builder: John Donahoo
Appropriation: $5,000
Range: White sector 4 miles, Red sector 3 miles (current steel tower light)
Status: Standing and Active
Copyright © 1999 - 2011 Matthew B. Jenkins, All rights reserved.  |  Privacy