New Point Comfort Light
Northern entrance of Mobjack Bay, VA, cir. 1804
Commissioned in 1804 to mark the north side of Mobjack Bay and the York River, this is the third oldest lighthouse on the Bay, Despite it's name, it has no relation to the Old Point Comfort light apart from the fact that both were built by Elzy Burroughs (who later served as keeper here). The octagonal whitewashed sandstone tower stands 58 feet tall and the fourth order Fresnel lens, installed in 1865, gave it a visibility of 13 miles. The light was partially automated in 1919 and the keepers house was torn down at that time. It was completely automated in 1930. In 1933 a hurricane swept away the peninsula's link to the mainland leaving the light on its current small rip-rap island, accessible only by small boat. An offshore light took over the tower's duties in 1963 and in 1968 the Coast Guard discontinued maintenance. It is now owned by Mathews County and has undergone several renovations under the oversight of the Matthew's County Historical Society. Vandalism continues to be a problem.
Entrance to Mobjack Bay, VA 37.3006°N, 76.2775°W
Type of Structure:
Wooden dwelling with lantern on top
Standing, but Abandoned