Home  |  About

Old Point Comfort Light

Fort Monroe, Hampton, VA, cir. 1802
Old Point Comfort Light Old Point Comfort is the second oldest lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay. It was commissioned in 1802 and stands directly in front of Fort Monroe at the entrance to Hampton Roads. During the War of 1812, the 54 foot light was captured by the British and used as an observation tower. The light originally was lit by 11 Lewis oil lanterns. These were later replaced by a fourth order Fresnel lens. The keepers dwelling was replaced in 1891 and it is now used for military housing. Like several other Bay-side towns, this area was a popular tourist destination. Due to both the continued military and tourist presence, the light has been well maintained all of its years. It was not automated until 1973 and until that time had two keepers. It is still an active navigational aid and is the longest serving lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay.


Location: Fort Monroe, Hampton Roads, VA, 37.00178 N, 76.30643 W
Access: See Fort Monroe
Date Built: Commissioned 1802
Type of Structure: Octagonal stone tower with keepers dwelling
Height: 54 feet
Characteristics: Flashing red
Foghorn: Yes - bell
Builder: Elzy Burroughs
Appropriation: $5,000
Range: 13 miles
Status: Standing and Active
Copyright © 1999 - 2011 Matthew B. Jenkins, All rights reserved.  |  Privacy