Home  |  About

Pooles Island Light

Pooles Island, MD, cir. 1825
Pooles Island Light Pooles Island lies north of Baltimore in the center of the Chesapeake and used to be home to a small agricultural community. The lighthouse tower and keeper's dwelling were built in 1825 by John Donahoo and Simon Frieze. It is the first lighthouse built by Donahoo and the oldest still standing in Maryland. Constructed of Port Deposit granite the tower stands 40 1/2 feet tall. In 1828 a fog bell tower was added and in 1882 the keeper's dwelling was enlarged. The Island, including the lighthouse were acquired by the Army in 1917 and the light was automated at that time. It is now part of Aberdeen Proving Ground and is off limits to the public. In 1939 the light was deactivated and the keeper's dwelling torn down. The tower subsequently fell to a fairly poor state of repair. However, in 1996 the Army launched an effort to restore it. The lantern and tower were stripped, re-parged, and painted. New windows and doors of the original style were installed. There are plans to launch a second phase, interior, restoration and a hope to eventually re-light the tower.


Location: 39.279N 76.270W
Access: In a restricted, military, area - Not accessible to the public
Date Built: Commissioned 1825
Type of Structure: Conical stone tower
Height: 38 feet above mean high water
Characteristics: Inactive
Foghorn: Fog bell tower (no longer standing)
Builder: John Donahoo and Simon Frieze
Appropriation: $5,000
Status: Standing, but Decommissioned
Copyright © 1999 - 2011 Matthew B. Jenkins, All rights reserved.  |  Privacy