Home  |  About

Solomons Lump Light

Kedges Strait shouth of Blodsworth Island, MD, cir. 1895
Solomons Lump Light This caisson light was commissioned in 1895 and is one of the more remote Bay lighthouses. Originally, an earlier screwpile Light had stood here. However, it was destroyed by ice in 1893. The current structure looks a bit odd with the tower off to the side. There had been a wooden, hexagonal, keepers dwelling that surrounded the tower. This was torn down in the early 1950s after the lighthouse was automated, leaving the current, somewhat lopsided, structure.


Location: 38.04806N 76.01502W
Date Built: Original screw-pile - 1875, Current caisson - 1895
Type of Structure: Caisson with square brick tower and wooden keepers dwelling (keepers dwelling dismantled)
Height: 47 feet above mean high water
Characteristics: Flashing white with two red sectors
Foghorn: Yes
Builder: William H. Flaherty
Appropriation: $30,000+
Range: 8 miles
Status: Standing and Active
Copyright © 1999 - 2011 Matthew B. Jenkins, All rights reserved.  |  Privacy