Turkey Point Light
Elk Neck State Park, Northeast, MD, cir. 1832
Turkey Point light, which was commissioned in 1833, sits atop a high peninsula bluff which separates the Elk and Northeast rivers. Its purpose was to guide ships to the newly built Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. Like the not too distant Concord Point Light, This 35 foot stone tower was built by John Donahoo and shared the same basic plans. It is somewhat remote in terms of land access and for many years a winch was used to haul supplies (which were brought by boat) up the bluff. The light was staffed until 1947, after which Fannie Slater, the Bay's last female lighthouse keeper, retired from service there and it was fully automated. The keeper's house had to be torn down in 1972 because of decay and vandalism. The bluff and lighthouse are now part of Elk Neck State Park and are located at the end of a nice walking trail. It is now managed by Turkey Point Light Station, Inc. and still functions as an active aid to navigation.
Location: Elk Neck State Park
, 39.450°N 76.009°W
See Turkey Point Light Station, Inc.
Type of Structure:
Conical brick and masonry tower
35 feet (height of tower)
Flashing white with one red sector
Fog bell tower (no longer standing)
Standing and Active